Tuesday 4 April 2017

All the filters you could ever want

Recently, I've discovered a completely free photo editing software, Google's Nik Collection. It was actually available for free since March 24, 2016, but I guess I'm just a year late to the party. In this post, I am just going to show some of the edits I did while experimenting with the software.

All photos are top: before, bottom: after.

This was actually the very first photo I took with my camera in Japan. This was in Hakata, and we were wandering around randomly. I edited this using the Analog Efex Pro. I really like the filters in that particular application - but afterwards I realised that not every photo looked nice in the vintage-y style. This one had to use a more subtle filter so that it wouldn't look too unnatural.

This was a random store photo taken at Hakata as well (somewhere near the Owl Cafe at Canal City?) Immediately, I tried to use the Analog filters on it. I was thinking of a more blue-ish feel but when I was clicking on some of the suggested filters on the left of the application, I found that this one actually looked kinda interesting!

I believe this one was taken at a shrine in Fukuoka as well, but I'm not sure of the name. The Analog filters looked really weird on this, so I thought I'd go for a more realistic and nicely coloured look. I used the sunlight filter in Color Efex Pro first, which kind of gave it a glowy feel, then a second filter, foliage. It was quite amazing how it targeted only the foliage so I brightened it up. Ahh, technology!

While looking for beautiful photos to edit, I (again) realised how pretty Mt. Fuji is. Unfortunately, my Mt. Fuji photos weren't very pretty. This photo was taken at Lake Kawaguchi though (when we went there to see Mt. Fuji). I didn't think that this needed too much editing, but I darkened the silhouettes (with curves), then made a slight edit with the warmth filter in Color Efex Pro to enhance the colours a little.

My last photo for the post. Not a Japan photo, but in Taiwan! This was a trail to a hot springs but apparently a major rockfall happened and then they closed the trail. Evidently, people still climb down. The edit was done in Color Efex Pro (again) with the Reflector Efex (gold).

So, conclusion...the Nik collection is rather marvelous with their filters. I haven't tried out some of the other functions, and sharpening and other basic things like crop (I'm not sure if they even have that but I think they should?) so I don't know if it would be easy to use, but I have to say that the filter-editing were really easy to use and very intuitive and the performance was good. Although there was still processing time, it didn't lag my computer. There are a lot more functions and features I haven't yet explored yet either, but I think that this is definitely worth to get on your computer if you do any photo editing. :)
px

0 comments:

Post a Comment