Saturday 29 April 2017

Undertale - First impressions

I regret to start with: I have no screenshots for this post. For some reason, my steam screenshot key didn't work.

So I've played about 40 minutes of Undertale, and I have to say I am a little disappointed. Hmm, that is to say, not as much in terms of story since I've barely started with the introduction. My opinion is largely formed from the gameplay, and it's kinda putting me off from playing any further.

I think most of my disappointment stems from all the great reviews that praise the game up to the sky. (Plus, I was dumb enough not to understand the gameplay when I was watching the trailer. I thought it was a purely turn-based game.)

The first moment I stepped into the game, I am lying on a patch of flowers and it took me a while to realise that I am supposed to move by myself. I thought it was going to be some kind of cutscene, but well okay. 

Afterwards, I quickly find out that "there are many puzzles in here". Well, I am okay with a little of it but too much of these kind of puzzles make me sick. (Obviously this is just personal opinion, and someone else could like them a lot.)

I get introduced to the battle system, and well, I forgot how to press back, and I couldn't interact with the dummy properly or spare it or whatever, so I killed it. Okay that was my fault but I think I should have been introduced to the controls a little better >.<

Oh and oh gosh do I hate these bullet hell kinda things. I actually think it's cool that they have different sort of movements for different monsters, but that's as far as it goes to liking this mechanism. 

Also, with how I thought the game was supposed to work, by talking your way out of trouble with monsters, I thought there would at least be some kind of different reaction even if you did the same thing to the same type of monster, but as it turns out, as long as I pick a particular action, the opponent will react the same way. It also mostly seems like, every monster has a very particular way of clearing it, and it gets kinda repetitive (and boring). 

[Spoiler] This pissed me off especially when I met the ghost that was blocking my way and I could not get rid of it. I tried every interaction with it and it gave the exact same reaction for all. And you know, because I am shitty at bullet hell, I died before I figured it out. Also, one of the tears thing, the one that moves in straight lines, looks like bugs to me and creeps me the hell out. I couldn't stand going through all that testing again to get it out of the way so I just googled for the solution and turns out there's only one way to get past it without killing it. 

I do like the cell phone interaction however, it's kinda cute, and story-wise, it was still OK-ish. It doesn't exactly have a pull-me-in introduction though, I don't have the "I must know more" kind of opinion. Not enough to make me want to go through all the battling.

So, conclusion. The gameplay isn't really my kind of style, although some people may like it. The story has potential to be good (and I think most of the +++, AMAZING, must play!!! reviews were probably praising the story). And I should probably have done my research better and found out what kind of game it was. Didn't talk about the graphics/music and all that but to make it short, I'd say I didn't really have much of an impression - neither really good nor really bad.

0 comments:

Post a Comment