Monday 13 April 2015

Enough TCG mobages! Where are them RPGs!?

      

So I've been talking about a bunch of mobages, but they're all card-collecting TCG games, and they're too competitive; and they take too much checking-in; and they sicken me with the sheer RNG required of gachas. So-! I decided it would do me some good to give them a rest and try something more relaxed.

For once, I want to choose my own pace, so I turned to RPGs and shortlisted a few pretty candidates.

1. That picture up there is Final Fantasy Legends: The Crystal of Space-Time. I've seen quite a few promos for this recently. To my knowledge it is very much like the standard GBA RPG, with quests and a story and a main party of characters that level up as you go along. Like any good ol' RPG, we get sprites, equipment, classes, and turn-based battles!


2. Speaking of Final Fantasy, Granblue Fantasy is another one I've been keeping a sharp eye on ever since I saw its promotional poster in Japan. Who can resist the art and design of Hideo Minaiba? Coupled with Nobuo Uematsu's music direction, I'm sure this game would deliver a full experience. Not to mention, for those who can spare the data, the fully voiced dialogue would no doubt please the ears.

I guess the only downside to this would be that it still has TCG elements to it, such as the AP BP system for exploring that requires one to take time off the game to regenerate once it is used up. In addition to that is the standard gacha which Japanese gamers seem too addicted to to let go. Sigh. It's not that I dislike it, but it does make me sad that not a single game I'm playing can be advanced by effort alone. 

They might actually be trying to educate me about the formula for success in life or something.

...I'm probably NEVER going to get rich.

Especially if I play these games.

You know, I spend a lot of time thinking about how much time I would save if I didn't waste time on things like these but it never works and I never stop and it's a vicious cycle and I tried to stop but not even losing my phone stops it.

I try to think about how much money I would make in the future by making games instead, after that.

3. Next, we have Chaos Ring III. Now this one has the look and feel of a console game or an online PC game, due to the three dimensional models and menu designs. It's clean and professional.


Having had a port for the PSVita, Chaos Ring III is definitely a title with many hours of gameplay behind it. Worth? I think so! Also, there's much hope for an English localization because all the previous titles have already been translated and released. After all, RPGs are a great deal more immersive if you actually understand what the characters are talking about.

4. Finally we have Merc Storia <3

It is like the cutest cutest game EVER and that is the only and BEST reason why you should give it a go!

Look at some of these!

Aren't they cute!? From the graphics to the design to the battle sprites and the little furry creatures! To be honest, I first found out about this game after seeing its artbook cover. It was just too attractive but I couldn't quite bring myself to get it without even knowing what it was about, hence the look-up. Since I told myself I'll go buy that book when I actually start playing the game, all the more I am motivated to step into it quick.

Of course, I'm going to kill myself when I start and fail at gachas. But for now, I'm hyped!!

Apparently, the real-time gameplay is quite simple and is only based on allocating SP to your characters to level them up and make sure they don't die on screen. Other than that, there's also a guild system where you can spend resources to build things. I'll have to start playing before I can give a breakdown on these systems though!

I can't wait to free up some space and get started!! Hopefully whoever is reading this will also get inspired and fall into the same traps as me :) If there is room for co-op play, that would be the best outcome.

1 comment:

  1. Spectral Souls and Blazing Souls are imported to Android! I will probably play them soon. I just like the ideas of Idea Factory (I wouldn't call myself a fan because not many of their games are translated!)

    ReplyDelete